Want to teach? We’ve got the gateway to your next great journey!
How Can I Become Certified in Texas?
The Texas Education Agency certifies teachers. Learn about their pathway to certification below.
I am certified in another stateI am interested in becoming certified
Out of State Certified Educators
If you hold a standard certificate issued by another state or United States territory and are seeking certification in Texas you must apply for a review of credentials.
Create an online account through TEA.
Complete an application and pay the $164 non-refundable fee.
Submit transcripts from all colleges.
Submit copies of all certificates.
Submit proof of oral English language proficiency if your degree was earned outside the United States, including territories of the United States.
About the Certification Transfer Process
You may submit your out-of-state certificate online. Transcripts may NOT be submitted online, as they will be deleted and treated as spam.
- The application and fee for a review of credentials must be completed.
- TEA ID number must accompany all certificates.
- Complete the request form and upload the front and back of your out-of-state certificate as an attachment; only certificates will be accepted.
- Transcripts sent from an educator will NOT be accepted.
Allow up to 3 to 4 weeks to confirm receipt of documents submitted online.
Credential Review Results:
Upon the completion of the credential review, you will receive results from Texas Education Agency via email. The email will include the required tests for securing your Texas teaching certification and your eligibility for a One-Year- non-renewable certificate.
If you are required to take exams to obtain the teaching certificate that you submitted for review, you may submit additional documentation for possible exemption of Texas tests. Out-of-state test scores will not be considered without a review of credentials.
Once the review of credentials is completed, you may be issued a One-Year non-renewable certificate. You may apply for the One-Year certificate at the same time as your review of credentials or after the review of credentials has been completed. While your One-Year certificate is valid, you must complete one or both of the following options:
- Submit all required documents necessary to determine possible exemption of out-of-state tests to secure the standard teaching certificate.
- Complete all appropriate tests to secure the standard teaching certificate if not exempted from required tests.
You must apply and for a standard teaching certificate once all requirements are met.
TEA Certification Customer Service
Phone hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (CST)
ARE YOU READY TO PAVE YOUR WAY IN SAN ANTONIO?